Fw: Re: gnucash-2.3 + sql backend

Phil Longstaff plongstaff at rogers.com
Mon Jun 1 10:45:55 EDT 2009

Should go to devel list as well

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Phil Longstaff <plongstaff at rogers.com>
To: gnucash-list <gnucash-user at lists.gnucash.org>
Sent: Monday, June 1, 2009 10:26:45 AM
Subject: Re: Re: gnucash-2.3 + sql backend

This should be fixed for 2.3.1.  For postgres, if the db did not exist, it didn't create it (and unfortunately, didn't indicate "no such db").  For 2.3.1, it will create the db, but will also, of course, require that the user have enough privilege to create a database.  With this change in 2.3.1, it will also pop up a "the db is not empty, do you want to overwrite it" dialog box, and if you say yes, it will log some messages in the gnucash.trace log file.  There is an issue in libdbi that returns some virtual tables from a postgres db (the postgres db engine makes these tables visible in each db, and libdbi doesn't provide any way of screening them out).  It is currently being sorted out on the libdbi devel mailing list whether a new api will be added, or whether gnucash should just ignore these virtual tables.  Eventually, gc might want to make use of the info in the tables (it provides information on the db server's sql capabilities).

Phil