Moving from 2.2.6 to 2.2.9 and dropping src/register/register-gnome/gnucash-sheet.c patch (use g_hash_table_new_full to request g_free on de-allocated items)

Loïc Martin loic.martin3 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 14:13:16 EDT 2009

Tommy Trussell wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 10:16 PM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
>> Loïc Martin <loic.martin3 at gmail.com> writes:
>>> Spoke too fast. I can't find any bugs on launchpad that relates to
>>> this problem, and there's no way a Stable Release Update would be
>>> granted if it doesn't solve any bugs in Ubuntu. Unless some Ubuntu
>>> users can point me to the bug or, at least, submit it to Launchpad.
>> I suspect if you ask on the gnucash-user list you could find a number
>> of people who might be willing to file a bug report for you..
>
> I did a few searches against the email lists and I didn't find any
> Ubuntu-specific problems people have reported publicly except possibly
> the recent issue of over-maximized GnuCash windows under Ubuntu 9.04
> "Jaunty."
If I read the bug report correctly for the patch we're talking about,
it's unrelated. The problems with that patch might only appear in Debian
for what I know (they've got a bug report where one user says he got his
problems with 2.2.6 fixed by installing Ubuntu packages - which have 2
patches more applied than in Debian), and I can't do much about that.

> HOWEVER there have been numerous bugfixes since 2.2.6. For various
> complaints the first recommendation on the Users list is to try a
> later version, and the only options for Ubuntu users have been to
> either self-compile or download the package at getdeb.net. I have been
> hesitant to recommend folks point to Löic's PPA (upload/download area
> for Ubuntu developers) but a PPA might be the simplest workaround
> until the Ubuntu Karmic 9.10 (October) release.
Getdeb is a good solution, since they're using the same packages as in
Debian/Ubuntu, and thus would offer the same quality. They also use
Launchpad for bug tracking, like Ubuntu, and are easy to get in touch with.

> Possibly Löic would rather most users be advised upgrade from another
> place -- maybe a PPA dedicated to GnuCash upgrades (PPAs are offered
> free for the asking, but are associated with a specific person or team
> defined in Launchpad.net).

Nope. Getdeb, my ppa, all in all you'd get the same package, which will
most probably be the same in Ubuntu for Karmic. Unless you won't wear a
good shoe because someone removed the branding on it, you wouldn't see
the difference. There's no particular dependencies for Gnucash, so
people would only be installing gnucash and gnucash-common anyway.

I'll only concentrate on getting 2.2.9 into Ubuntu 9.10 then.
Loïc