File/Database access (open and save-as)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 9 10:59:44 EDT 2009

Hi,

Phil Longstaff <plongstaff at rogers.com> writes:

> I've created a new dialog (currently called File Access).  If
> --enable-dbi is specified at config time, this dialog is used instead
> of the standard Gtk Open and SaveAs dialogs.

Excellent!  Definitely something important.

> The dialog has 3 sections.  In the top left are 4 radio buttons for
> the different db types (XML, SQLITE3, MYSQL and PGSQL).  Beside it, in
> the top right, are text fields for host/database/user/password needed
> to access a mysql or pgsql db.  In the bottom section is a Gtk file
> selector widget used for xml and sqlite3 access.

I'm wondering if radio buttons are really the best option?  I'm
wondering if it would be better to be a drop-down menu?  This way
we could (theoretically) dynamically update the interface by
discovering which DBI backends are installed/configured.  If the
system doesn't have e.g. PG then we don't display the option in the
menu.  Or do we expect never to add new formats?

I'm just thinking out loud, but once the user chooses the format
the rest of the dialog can shift based on the requirements of that
backend choice.

> Re GC 2.4: I want to finish getting libdbi database access ready, and I
> currently have some time so that I could act as release manager if needed.

COOL!