Roadmap / GNC 2.4

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Thu Mar 26 15:59:45 EDT 2009

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 01:46:28PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 03:46:32PM -0400, Phil Longstaff wrote:
> > As far as I can tell, there are a number of things that are in trunk or are
> > being developed:
[...]
> > 5) changes to saved reports - Andrew Sackville-West working on it?
[...]

this is done and committed (18001). It doesn't really change anything too
deep, so I think a modicum of testing by dev's, and a look over by
someone better versed in the gtk portion than I, would be sufficient
to call it release ready.

> > I propose we start towards a release 2.4 with #1.  I think I have enough time
> > to act as release manager, so I volunteer if required.
> >
> > For 2.6 (date TBD), #2 and #4 (replacing all reports) would be a good advance.
> > I don't know enough about #3 or #5 to say anything, but perhaps
> > #2/#4/#5 could
>
> #5 may be orthogonal to #2 and #4. And in fact the current saved
> report system might not likely survive #4, but I've not looked at that
> work yet.

it appears (not tested by me) that #4 does not affect the current
report saving and if so, I can say with some confidence that it will
not affect the newly committed saved-report dialog.

I wonder, though, if it makes sense to try and get #4 into trunk at
least partially for the next release. That would get it into the hands
of users who might mess around with it implementing their own reports
and give it a good working over. By that I mean just get the
framework and maybe a sample report into trunk for 2.4. Completion of
#4 would require way more report rewriting than I imagine anyone is up
for at the moment. very much .02