Algorithm for allocating payments

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Sun Nov 8 22:29:57 EST 2009

Hi all,

I am currently trying to create some code to add a payment to a gnucash
xml file in java, and I am struggling to find a proper description of
the procedure I need to create the lots that link the transaction in A/R
with the customer who made the payment.

Is there a definitive description anywhere of the link between
transactions, lots and customers?

So far, my attempts at loading in the modified file into gnucash have
shown the transaction, but no link between the transaction and the
customer. Resaving the file in gnucash shows that the transaction and
lot are present, but no link exists between them.

Is there a way to get gnucash to output any parsing errors while it
attempts to laod a file? So far despite the errors in the file, gnucash
silently loads the file, not revealing that anything is wrong with the
file. Is this possible?

Regards,
Graham