Website download section

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Nov 12 14:16:57 EST 2009

On Nov 12, 2009, at 8:54 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:

> Apparently I can do this if I put a direct link to one of the
> download mirrors
> instead of the main download server. It seems the main download
> server is
> configured to redirect to a mirror at all times. It's this
> redirection that
> shows the intermediate page.
>
> I don't mind using a mirror link, but I don't know if these mirror
> addresses
> are stable. Are these addresses permanent, or do mirrors change ?
> What if the
> chosen mirror is unavailable for whatever reason at some point in
> time ?
>
> Another approach could be to setup the readme file as a page on the
> gnucash
> website or in the gnucash wiki. It would then not be visible
> immediatly from
> the sourceforge download page of course... But maybe the release
> notes link on
> SF's download page can be abused to link to an external page ? I
> don't know
> anything on SF internals, so I'm just guessing here.

The magic link is:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/gnucash/Gnucash%20OSX%20Readme.html

That will magically find the best (or user's default, if he's got a
sourceforge account and has it set up) mirror and doesn't flash the
mirror screen. It works equally well for the binaries, so the user
will just get the "download destination" dialog box and will stay on
the Gnucash page.

Regards,
John Ralls