Website download section

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Thu Nov 12 16:44:46 EST 2009

On Thursday 12 November 2009, Christian Stimming wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 12. November 2009 schrieb Geert Janssens:
>
> > * The original site had links to a USA and a European sourcecode-only
> >  "mirror" (for the lack of a better word). I have added those to the
> > source code section on the download page, but not quite as they were
> > before. I have added direct links to the source tarball for the latest
> > stable release, instead of showing the full directory listing. Is such a
> > directory listing still required ?
>
> No, IIRC we only kept this because at each new series we keep forgetting to
> update the link here.

Ok. Of course, for the site to continue to work, the
externals/global_params.php file has to be updated with each release. That
should then cover most references to the latest stable/unstable releases.

This doesn't cover the news items as they are not php parsed. Not really a
problem, because each news item actually only refers to exactly one version,
not necessarily the latest one.

I would have liked php parsing of the news items though for a couple of minor
things:
* It would allow me to set the latest stable reference automatically in the
unstable release announcements. That would give us older news items that also
correctly point out the actual latest stable. Now it's a fixed number set at
(the unstable's) release time.
* It would allow me to use the same path variables for the downloads as set in
global_params.php. If sourceforge would decide some day to changes those
paths, one single modification would fix up all our new and old links.

But these two are really minor issues, currently not worth investigating
further, I think.

> > * As for generating a patchset later on: I have added a new page, a new
> > php script and two new icons and I have changed two existing files. What
> > is the best way to deliver this to someone with svn access ? svn diff
> > doesn't seem to handle binary files.
>
> (git would handle binaries, "git format-patch" would do the trick, but:) In
> this case a simple tarball of all you have is just fine, plus a list of
> files which need to be deleted, if any.

Ok, I will give it some more time for feedback from others before I pack it
up.

Geert