Website download section: linux or not linux ?

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Mon Nov 16 08:17:17 EST 2009

My changes to the website regarding a download section are nearly done. My
thread, these questions risk being lost, so I decided to create a new thread
for each of them.

Question 1. Linux in the downloads on the front page.

There has been the suggestion to put linux first in the download block on the
front page. Of the core devs Derek was for it, Christian argued it made no
sense as we don't have any binaries available for Linux.

The main advantage of listing a linux "download" first, is that is clearly
indicates Gnucash is primarily a Linux application, and the Windows/Macos X
builds are derivates.

How to solve this one ?

Browsing through some other Gnome projects that are available on Windows/OSX
as well [1], I notice that most provide a link to the source tarball for linux
downloads. None of them has rpms or debs or whatever available on their
website. If these prebuilt packages are mentioned, it is always by referring
back to the distributions.

I propose to add a linux entry in the Download block with two links: one
directly to a source tarball, and another link that point to the Linux section
on the Download page.

See http://gnucash.kobaltwit.lan/index.phtml for an example. As said before,
just ignore the php warnings.

Geert