Website download section: location of Mac OS X Readme

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Mon Nov 16 08:19:23 EST 2009

My changes to the website regarding a download section are nearly done. My
thread, these questions risk being lost, so I decided to create a new thread
for each of them.

Question 2. Where to fetch the Mac OS X Readme file ?

This file is currently hosted on sourceforge and the www.gnucash.org website
links to it there. However, due to the sourceforge website works, it will
first show a download page (with commercials) before actually fetching the
file. For a simple readme, this is not nice.

By the way, the file is currently called Readme, but in my opinion the
contents could also be described as "Additional release notes for MacOS X" and
could be treated that way while finding a proper long-term solution for them.

Different solutions I see:
* Leave it as is, just live with the redirect.
* Setup a "Release notes" section in wiki, store all release relevant
information (release notes, changelog, readmes) there and link there. Also
replace the SF Readme with a short message that points to the proper wiki
page.
* Add a copy of these files in htdocs and link to them there.
* Post the readme file as a news item whenever a new MacOS X build is
available.

The first option would be ok for a short-term solution, to get the download
changes up and running already while a broader solution is discussed.

I came up with the second option while taking a step back and looking at the
complete Gnucash website mix. Gnucash has serveral of them
* a semi static www.gnucash.org
* a wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/ (why is this not wiki.gnucash.org without the
subdirectory by the way ?)
* an svn.gnucash.org/trac
* lists.gnucash.org for mailinglists and irc logs
*...

Mostly the first two interest me in this context. Is there a clear set of
conditions that dictates when a page is supposed to go on the static
www.gnucash.org or wiki.gnucash.org ?

My feeling is that wiki pages are more flexible than plain php/html/css, more
easily rearranged, improved, reworked and they get a consistent style across
pages almost for free. Several other free software initiatives I follow [1]
use wiki like websites to host release notes. I think it simply works well for
such information.

Another -perhaps even more long-term- direction would be to migrate large
parts of the static website to a true cms (like drupal[2]), which shares many
of the advantages of a wiki, but is more flexible in many ways. For example, a
wiki isn't very well suited to host a front page for a website. I'm mainly
checking for potential interest here. If enough people think this is a good
idea, I may spend some time in the future to actually realise this. I'll have
to do a number of drupal based websites soon, so I will have some experience
in that area.

Back to the options. Option three, could be a fair intermediate solution. I
think  we only need to host the most recent stable and unstable readme file on
www.gnucash.org. The site only provides options to download those directly.
All other releases have to be downloaded via SF and there the file is readily
available.

Option four would mean that each time a new Build of Gnucash for Mac OS X
becomes available, there would also be a news announcement for it. This is
something that's missing now, but would be interesting. On the other hand this
would not give us a direct link to the readme file. There is currently no code
available on the website to display only one news item. It would be a fairly
trivial thing to fix though, but as a whole the solution is not really clean.
I think in the long run it would be more beneficial to migrate the website to
a CMS.

So I propose for the medium term to add the most recent stable and unstable
readme file on the www.gnucash.org server and John can update those whenever
he does a new release.

Finally, I'm rather confused currently about what information is supposed to
go where and why that would be. As I see it now there's still room for
improvement ;-) Perhaps I should open another discussion on this where we
could evaluate the merits and drawbacks of several different website solutions
on a higher level.

Geert

[1] Mandriva http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/2010.0_Notes,
Inkscape http://wiki.inkscape.org/wiki/index.php/Release_notes