Website download section: release timing ?

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Mon Nov 16 08:19:25 EST 2009

My changes to the website regarding a download section are nearly done. My
thread, these questions risk being lost, so I decided to create a new thread
for each of them.

Question 3. Release timing

While setting up the download block on the front page, I presumed that a new
stable release is always made available for the three major platforms at the
same time. That's what the block also indicates: it states in big letters what
the current stable release is, and provides download links for each platform.

However, is this always the case ? Or can we have (temporary) situations where
the latest stable for Linux is say 2.4.1, while Windows is at 2.4.0 and Mac OS
X still at 2.2.9 ?

The internal php script allows for this: you can specify different versions
for each platform if you like, but the user visible part would be confusing:
the block on the webpage would show "Gnucash 2.4.1", while it would download
2.4.0 for Windows and even 2.2.9 for Mac OS X.

If the releases can really differ between platforms, I would propose instead
to explicitly display the version numbers with the download links and not on
top.

So is it to be expected these versions could be different between the
different platforms ?

Geert