Website download section: release timing ?

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Mon Nov 16 09:15:27 EST 2009

Zitat von Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be>:
> Question 3. Release timing
>
> While setting up the download block on the front page, I presumed that a new
> stable release is always made available for the three major platforms at the
> same time. That's what the block also indicates: it states in big
> letters what
> the current stable release is, and provides download links for each platform.
>
> However, is this always the case ? Or can we have (temporary)
> situations where
> the latest stable for Linux is say 2.4.1, while Windows is at 2.4.0
> and Mac OS
> X still at 2.2.9 ?

IMHO: No. IMHO the definition of a release so that "having a release"
makes any sense is that it will be available for all platforms. There
might be delays of 1-2 days until binaries are finished, but this is
part of the release process itself and the announcement would wait
until all binaries are in place. I'm not sure how this currently works
w.r.t. the Mac releases, but all platforms available should be the goal.

Regards,

Christian