Manually trigger update of www.gnucash.org?) (Re: htdocs patch: downloads & news)

Linas Vepstas linasvepstas at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 13:21:59 EST 2009

2009/11/18 Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu>:
> Quoting Linas Vepstas <linasvepstas at gmail.com>:
>
>> 2009/11/18 Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu>:
>>>
>>> FYI,

>>> I tried to update the website manually and I got an SVN error back,
>>> which explains why it failed:
>>>
>>> Conflict discovered in 'news/090723-2.3.3.news'.

>> What's the actual diff?
>
> I don't know.  What does 'svn diff' say?  I can only see the output
> of 'svn update' when I force the update from here.

Doohh. My bad.

Yes, I'd previously altered this file by hand. This was when someone
popped up on IRC, offering an alternate download URL for the
windows binaries.  I've reverted the changes, svn update should
now work.

FYI, bandwidth was maxed out for several weeks, mostly with
people downloading the *huge* windows binaries. It's not that
there were a lot of downloads; rather, its that each download
was hefty.  It took a month for traffic to settle down.  Attached
is a graph of traffic for the last year (note the left-right direction,
most recent data is on the left.)

I got a new internet provider at end of feb, that's the cause
of the traffic uptick.  The giant kaboom in July was the first-ever
gnucash-on-windows announce.  Traffic has been significantly
higher ever since. Other peaks are presumably other announces.

Also attached is a website-hits-per-minute graph. Notice that
it does *not* resemble the traffic graph.  The heavier traffic
would seem to be due entirely to the windows binaries.

--linas