Website download section: location of Mac OS X Readme

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu Nov 19 12:34:57 EST 2009

On Nov 19, 2009, at 8:04 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:

> On Thursday 19 November 2009, John Ralls wrote:
>> On Nov 19, 2009, at 5:31 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>>> Fair enough.  I'm just trying to think of how to make it available in a
>>> way that's NOT a link off to a SF page.  Maybe a link to the wiki?
>>
>> I thought that Geert had set it up to be a hosted file (he mentioned
>> osx_readme.phtml being missing yesterday), though when I looked last night,
>> the link in the download box was to sourceforge.
>>
> Well, my most recent comment on this was that I chose to still fetch the
> Readme from SF and fix it in a future refactoring of the website. The main
> motivation was to avoid manual copying around (which can be forgotten after a
> while).
>
> There is indeed an osx_readme.phtml file, but this is actually a php script
> that gets the right Readme file from SF. I needed such a script because the
> filename is different for stable and unstable releases, and the path is
> dependent on the version of the release.
>
>> A link to a wiki page would be OK, too.
>>
> If someone sets up these wiki pages, I don't mind redoing the links on the
> main website.
>
> If you prefer, I can even setup the wiki pages first time. However, I'd love
> to get some more information on the wiki structure. Are there some conventions
> on what should go where, or is this mostly ad-hoc ?
>
> Sidenote: from your previous mails I gather you will keep the readme file on
> sourceforge as well ? Or will you create a link there to the proper wiki page
> ? The former gets us back at duplicating effort. Or even additional effort,
> because the input for a wiki page is not html, so the Readme file would have
> to be translated from html to wiki format or the other way around.

The wiki page would become the primary; converting it to html is easily done by opening it in the browser and saving it (or downloading it via curl). Not a significant change in effort, really. It has the advantage that it could be easily updated in response to bug reports and resolution of user confusion.

Wikis are ad-hoc by definition, aren't they? They're also generally pretty flat. Since the quartz build instructions are called MacOSX/Quartz, and there isn't AFAICS MacOSX/anything else, I would be inclined to call the pages MacOSX/Stable_Readme and MacOSX/Unstable_Readme.

Sourceforge has a facility to view the release notes (it used to be done in such a way that the release notes didn't show up in the file listing, but that doesn't seem to be feasible with the new directory-based file release system). I think that SF users expect release notes to be present, so I plan to keep providing them. I don't know how to change it to a link without doing something anti-social like using javascript to redirect to the Wiki page, so I think it has to stay as a static html file.

Regards,
John Ralls