Website download section: location of Mac OS X Readme

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Thu Nov 19 16:53:02 EST 2009

On Thursday 19 November 2009, John Ralls wrote:

> The wiki page would become the primary; converting it to html is easily
> done by opening it in the browser and saving it (or downloading it via
> curl). Not a significant change in effort, really. It has the advantage
> that it could be easily updated in response to bug reports and resolution
> of user confusion.

I agree completely.

> Wikis are ad-hoc by definition, aren't they? They're also generally pretty
> flat. Since the quartz build instructions are called MacOSX/Quartz, and
> there isn't AFAICS MacOSX/anything else, I would be inclined to call the
> pages MacOSX/Stable_Readme and MacOSX/Unstable_Readme.

Personally I think it would be better in the long run if the files were
referring to the release they are written for, so for example:
MacOSX/Readme/2.2.9
and
MacOSX/Readme/2.3.7

That way, Readme files for older releases would still be around in the wiki
for people particularly interested in those. With only a Stable and Unstable
Readme, this history is partly lost, or at least not obvious to look for.

If you prefer, you could still add Stable or Unstable somewhere in the path,
but I'm not sure this is really necessary.

> Sourceforge has a facility to view the release notes (it used to be done in
> such a way that the release notes didn't show up in the file listing, but
> that doesn't seem to be feasible with the new directory-based file release
> system). I think that SF users expect release notes to be present, so I
> plan to keep providing them. I don't know how to change it to a link
> without doing something anti-social like using javascript to redirect to
> the Wiki page, so I think it has to stay as a static html file.

I don't have experience with the SF file manager (I setup a test project just
to look at it). Is the new directory based file release system very recent ? I
notice that for the 2.2.9 release there are still release notes with links as
http://sourceforge.net/project/shownotes.php?release_id=663535
Whereas I can only create links like you do for the Readme file.

I also notice there's no release notes link for the GnuCash 2.3.x series of
files (except for your MacOS X Readme).

I preferred the old style, but if it's no longer possible, we'll have to live
with the new style.

Geert