[Patch] to add option to disable 'skip to value field' on memorised transaction

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 4 17:08:13 EDT 2009

2009/10/4 Christian Stimming <stimming at tuhh.de>:
> Am Sonntag, 4. Oktober 2009 11:23 schrieb Colin Law:
>> Patch that provides a new option in the Register preferences to
>> specify whether, when tab is hit after entering the description for a
>> memorised transaction in Basic Ledger view, that the cursor  skips to
>> the value field (as at present) or just tabs to the Transfer field.
>> The option defaults to skip so gnucash operation is unaffected unless
>> user modifies the option.
>
> Thanks a lot for this patch! This looks very fine. There is one single issue
> that can be improved even more (even though nobody has told you so far -
> sorry for that): If for whatever reason your changed gconf schema file isn't
> being installed in the correct location, and your new key isn't found, gconf
> will return the global default value for bool keys, which is FALSE. Hence, to
> make life still a little easier, we try to add new gconf keys in a way so
> that their default value also is FALSE. By coincidence, your default value is
> TRUE. I would ask whether it is sensible and possible to switch the option so
> that it's default value is FALSE? It's not extremely important, but still
> helpful.

I can see the logic in going for a default of false wherever possible,
I had that problem with the schema file myself.  I did think of
reversing the logic but had difficulty coming up with a sensible
choice of words in the preferences dialog.  I have the text 'Tab skips
to value on memorised transaction' which requires a default of true.
Can anyone think of appropriate text for a default of false?  Tab
moves to Transfer field... does not really work for me as that is the
normal action one would expect from tab anyway and I am too close to
the problem to see an alternative.

Colin