Model of report

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Wed Sep 2 15:07:12 EDT 2009

Phil Longstaff wrote:

>At some point, I want to modify some of the reports (balance sheet/income statement especially) to allow multiple dates or time periods to be specified, resulting in multiple columns.  However, I'm busy with too much else right now.
>
>Phil

THAT would be welcome, Phil.

The only reason I have not done this (I'm a retired senior systems
analyst) is that the board member who takes the data I supply out of
GnuCash and uses that to prepare a financial statement in proper GAAP
format as done for non-profits is that he told me not to bother --- the
process involves adding footnotes for everything that needs an
explanatory note as well as some stock text and he uses his favorite
document processing app for that.

However, being able to prepare a "report" giving the current year an
prior year in parallel (what is standard for a non-profit) would be handy.

The other side of that coin is that accounts would not necessarily match
1:1 and you need to give some thought what you plan doing in that
situation.  The account might not have existed in the prior time period
or might not still exist (no longer applicable -- would be cumbersome
carrying on the report accounts that are obsolete and/or accounts that
only rarely have activity always showing with zero balance).

Michale D Novack, FLMI