Model of report

Phil Longstaff plongstaff at rogers.com
Wed Sep 2 17:05:35 EDT 2009

If you want to do any work on a requirements spec, set of use cases or workflow design, feel free.

My basic idea (concept borrowed from Financial Edge, an accounting package I worked with once) is that a report row layout can be defined.  This involves defining section headings, accounts and total lines.  This row layout can then be used to create a report along with column definitions.  As an example, a row layout for a balance sheet would involve an Assets section, a Liabilities section and an Equity section (possibly in different orders depending on country accounting requirements).  The Assets section would be the word Assets, a list of the assets accounts, then the Total Assets line.  By default, this would be driven by the current chart of accounts, but there would be options to reorder accounts or suppress certain accounts.  This could then be combined with a column definition for current value, a definition for 1 year ago today, and a 3rd column which is col1-col2 to provide the difference.  There would also be options for col1 as percentage
 of col2, or (col1-col2)/col2*100 to give percentage increase/decrease.

All of the info is there, and if we could define a better framework for reports, it wouldn't be too hard to generate very functional and attractive reports.

Phil