Bug 101456 - 'Find' dialog cumbersome for Business functions

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Sep 10 11:57:30 EDT 2009

Geert,

Thank you for working on this!

Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> writes:

[snip]
> Things that could still be improved:
> * Limit the autocompletion list to active objects only
> * For invoices/bills: only show the relevant ones. Currently both bills and
> invoices are listed at all times. At first glance this can only be done with
> some major refactoring of the invoice qof object, so it would definitly be
> something for a later revision.
> * Dynamic autocompletion list generation. This can be considered if there are
> performance issues with generating the list statically beforehand. I don't
> notice significant performance problems on my books, but that could be
> different for others.
> * Autocomplete the value in the text entry widget while typing.
>
> I do not intend to implement these extras right away, unless the devs
> consider this patch incomplete without one of them. The patch works
> fairly ok as it is right now.

Just FYI, I do believe that the widget should limit autocompletion to
only active objects.  I think that would be a simple one-line addtion to
the query generation.

As for the invoice/bill, I don't think that's a major issue right now.
The generic search doesn't split them apart either right now.
Unfortunately we're not using C++ and at the time it was written (2001)
we weren't using full gobjects either otherwise I would have made a
"base invoice" class and then have customerinvoice, vendorbill, and
empexpvoucher as subclasses.  So much of the code is shared, but there
are still times when you want to easily differentiate.

> Considering this is an outstanding annoyance since 2002, I hope it can get
> included as is in the 2.4 release.

I'll try to find the time to look at it, but my time has been near 0
lately so hopefully others can look too.