bounty for online banking idea for GnuCash

Manfred Usselmann usselmann.m at icg-online.de
Wed Sep 16 04:20:57 EDT 2009

Hi,

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 18:57:33 -0400
"Dave (DavesTechShop.net)" <dave at davestechshop.net> wrote:

> The concept is about aggregating all one's financial data in one place. So
> the tool downloads it from all the various financial institutions one deals
> with and then uploads it to wasabe so the user can see a complete financial
> picture in one place.

For me the appropriate place to aggregate my financial transactions
would be GnuCash. I would not like it at all to give up my privacy and
hand over my personal financial data to a third person.

If wasabe.com has better analysis tools or whatever, it would make more
sense IMHO to improve GnuCash instead of creating such an upload tool.

> So, yes, it is about uploading the data to wesabe.com.
> In my version, it would download the data from all the different places and
> then import it into GnuCash

The download part is definitely something which is very useful. For me
the HBCI support of GnuCash is sufficient, but from what I have read,
in other parts of the world the financial institutions unfortunately
don't offer such a common standard for financial transactions.

So, yes, creating a GnuCash import interface for something like the
Wesabe.com open source Firefox extension for downloading financial data
may make sense if this extension retrieves the data directly from the
banks. If it just retrieves the data from Wesabe.com and everything is
fetched by them, I wouldn't want this.

>  (and optionally upload it to wesabe).

I wouldn't want this. It's an unnecessary risk in my opinion.

> Judging by your question, Martin, I assume you have missed all the "front
> page" news in the US about Mint.com, Yodlee.com, Quicken Oniine, Wesabe,
> etc.

I have missed that as well. But for me GnuGash does what I need. :-)

Regards,
Manfred

> Personally, I'd like to see GnuCash offer the best of what all those new
> online financial services offer on top of the solid foundation that GnuCash
> already is. I think a Firefox add-on like what we're discussing would
> accomplish exactly that.
>
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 5:57 PM, Martin Preuss <aquamaniac at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > just a question: Is this wesabe approach really about *uploading* (!)
> > personal
> > financial data to their website?? Who would do something like that??
> >

> > Regards
> > Martin
> >

> > --
> > "Things are only impossible until they're not"
> >
> > Martin Preuss - http://www2.aquamaniac.de/
> > AqBanking - http://www.aqbanking.de/
> > LibChipcard - http://www.libchipcard.de/

Manfred Usselmann <usselmann.m at icg-online.de>