bounty for online banking idea for GnuCash

Thomas Baumgart ipwizard at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Sep 16 05:14:17 EDT 2009

On Wednesday 16 September 2009 10:40:55 Christian Stimming wrote:

> Zitat von "Dave (DavesTechShop.net)" <dave at davestechshop.net>:
> > The concept is about aggregating all one's financial data in one place.
> > So the tool downloads it from all the various financial institutions one
> > deals with and then uploads it to wasabe so the user can see a complete
> > financial picture in one place. So, yes, it is about uploading the data
> > to wesabe.com. In my version, it would download the data from all the
> > different places and then import it into GnuCash (and optionally upload
> > it to wesabe).
> >
> > Judging by your question, Martin, I assume you have missed all the "front
> > page" news in the US about Mint.com, Yodlee.com, Quicken Oniine, Wesabe,
> > etc.
>
> Judging by the wording of this remark of you, it didn't occur to you
> that other people on this list (including Martin and incidentally also
> me) don't live in the U.S., which means we're dealing with a
> fundamentally different system of banks and also a fundamentally
> different way of doing financial issues somewhere online.
>
> For example, in Germany, any bank that offers "online banking"
> features will also have to offer the possibility to initiate money
> transfer online. Hence, if I hand over my online banking information
> to any other entity besides my bank, I easily run into the risk that
> this other entity owns the information sufficient to initiate a money
> transfer from my account to somewhere else.

And thus violating the contract you have signed with your bank that you will
keep the access credentials secret under all circumstances and in case you
breach the contract that you will be held liable for any damage.

> Hence, the idea of
> uploading my financial information to some other website doesn't sound
> like a good idea in this country.

Yes (me living in Germany as well), it's even worse: it will get you in real
trouble.

--

Regards

Thomas Baumgart

I can break things just fine by myself,
I don't need (KDE) 4.2 to help me. -- Bill Suit