2.2.9 sources missing autogen.sh

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Sep 23 10:08:22 EDT 2009

Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com> writes:

> 2009/9/23 Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu>:
>> Quoting Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com>:
> snip
>>>
>>> So the downloadable source tar is not the same files as the svn
>>> version with the same tag?  Are there any other differences?
>>
>> Of course not!!  Absolutely!  It contains lots of preprocessed data,
>> like swig-generated files, pre-processed localization files, etc.
>
> It may be obvious to some, but I am afraid it was not obvious to me.
> This is my first foray into open source building (and on Ubuntu) so I
> am not up to speed with how the build and distribution system works.
> I still have much to learn.
> In that case am I missing something when I build from the svn code
> (which is actually the aim of the exercise as I am working on some
> patches)? I did ./autogen, ./configure (with options), make and sudo
> make install and it all seems ok.  Am I missing something however?

Building from SVN requires many more dependencies than building from the
tarball.  The act of building the tarball uses autotools, swig,
intltool, and a bunch of other stuff so that you dont need those tools
to build from the tarball.

Note that on ubuntu you only need to run:

  sudo apt-get build-dep gnucash

>>> So should I just be able to run configure (with my options) then make?
>>
>> Absolutely!!
>>
>> tar -xzf
>> cd ...
>> ./configure --prefix=/opt/gnucash
>> make
>> sudo make install
>>
>>> I thought I did this and I got errors, something about m4.  I picked
>>> up autogen from 2.3.5, ran that and then configure again and now make
>>> is running happily.  I will repeat the exercise just to be certain
>>> that is what I did.
>>
>> You'll only get m4 issues if you somehow modified a Makefile...  But if
>> you just take the gnucash tarball you wont need any autotools installed.
>>

> I tried again and it was ok, obviously I must have messed something up
> the first time round.
>
> Many thanks for your help

Glad to help!