2.2.9 sources missing autogen.sh

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 23 09:40:12 EDT 2009

2009/9/23 Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu>:
> Quoting Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com>:
snip

>> So the downloadable source tar is not the same files as the svn
>> version with the same tag?  Are there any other differences?
>
> Of course not!!  Absolutely!  It contains lots of preprocessed data,
> like swig-generated files, pre-processed localization files, etc.

It may be obvious to some, but I am afraid it was not obvious to me.
This is my first foray into open source building (and on Ubuntu) so I
am not up to speed with how the build and distribution system works.
I still have much to learn.
In that case am I missing something when I build from the svn code
(which is actually the aim of the exercise as I am working on some
patches)? I did ./autogen, ./configure (with options), make and sudo
make install and it all seems ok.  Am I missing something however?

>> So should I just be able to run configure (with my options) then make?
>
> Absolutely!!
>
> tar -xzf
> cd ...
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/gnucash
> make
> sudo make install
>
>> I thought I did this and I got errors, something about m4.  I picked
>> up autogen from 2.3.5, ran that and then configure again and now make
>> is running happily.  I will repeat the exercise just to be certain
>> that is what I did.
>
> You'll only get m4 issues if you somehow modified a Makefile...  But if
> you just take the gnucash tarball you wont need any autotools installed.

I tried again and it was ok, obviously I must have messed something up
the first time round.

Many thanks for your help

Colin