2.2.9 sources missing autogen.sh

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Sep 23 08:13:08 EDT 2009

Quoting Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com>:

> 2009/9/23 Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu>:
>> Quoting Colin Law <clanlaw at googlemail.com>:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have downloaded version 2.2.9 source
>>> http://www.gnucash.org/pub/gnucash/sources/stable/gnucash-2.2.9.tar.gz
>>> and it seems to be missing autogen.sh.  When I browse the svn source
>>> archive autogen.sh is there for that tag.
>>
>> autogen isn't required in the tar.gz file.  it already contains
>> a working configure script.
>
> So the downloadable source tar is not the same files as the svn
> version with the same tag?  Are there any other differences?

Of course not!!  Absolutely!  It contains lots of preprocessed data,
like swig-generated files, pre-processed localization files, etc.

> So should I just be able to run configure (with my options) then make?

Absolutely!!

tar -xzf
cd ...
./configure --prefix=/opt/gnucash
make
sudo make install

> I thought I did this and I got errors, something about m4.  I picked
> up autogen from 2.3.5, ran that and then configure again and now make
> is running happily.  I will repeat the exercise just to be certain
> that is what I did.

You'll only get m4 issues if you somehow modified a Makefile...  But if
you just take the gnucash tarball you wont need any autotools installed.