Why are locale specific reports registered in po file? (Yasuaki Taniguchi/????)

J. Alex Aycinena alex.aycinena at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 14:43:43 EDT 2010

Comments below:

This is undoubtedly true for the vast majority of gnucash users who
live outside of US but there may be non-US citizens or residents who
have to file tax forms with the US who live outside the US, many
non-English speaking.

> (3) Translators may do extra unnecessary works.

You are probably right about this; the number who would benefit is
probably very small.

> (4) If translators find msgids of locale specific reports should not
> be translated, some common
> words like "Account" are translated on locale specific reports and
> they can't avoid it.
>
> I attach an example of a US tax report with LANG=ja, and you will
> understand what is strange.
> Would you please consider it?

Just as a point of clarification based on your comment on the
filed with tax authorities in the form it comes out of gnucash. It is
intended to be a report that provides the tax information, with full
audit trail, that is then used by a gnucash user as a source document
for filling out the actual forms (whether manually or with the aid of
separate tax preparation software) that are then filed with the tax
authorities. The tax authorities would never see the gnucash report,
unless you were later audited and wanted to use it to show where you
got the numbers from.

Alex