dbus-launch in MacOSX build

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Mon Apr 5 22:47:05 EDT 2010

On Apr 5, 2010, at 6:18 PM, Mike Alexander wrote:

> --On April 5, 2010 9:06:23 PM +0200 Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> wrote:
>
>> On Monday 5 April 2010, John Ralls wrote:
>>> On Apr 5, 2010, at 11:19 AM, John Ralls wrote:
>>> r18997 runs from the command line with some adjustments. Make doesn't
>>> understand "\n", so the shell script wound up a bit corrupted.
>>>
>> It did work when I had make add the same script on linux. So
>> apparently make  on OS X interprets this differently. Thanks for
>> looking at that.
>>
>> I just wonder, did the gnucash run fail because of a corrupted
>> script, or  because dbus didn't start ? If it's the first, we still
>> don't know if the  explicit dbus-launcher call is required (at least
>> when starting from the build  directory). If it's the latter, that
>> would mean the gnucash script is there to  stay on OS X.
>
> You never have to run dbus-launcher when running the X11 version of GnuCash on MacOSX.  In fact it is wrong to do so although it may work in most cases.  I don't run the Quartz version myself, but I'd be surprised if the same thing weren't true for it too.

Be surprised. The stand-alone bundle needs to explicitly run dbus-launcher.

You're probably using Fink or MacPorts for your Gnucash-on-X11, and they both take care of the dbus setup for you by providing a full Linux-like environment. That's probably equally true of MacPorts built with quartz.

Regards,
John Ralls