Proposals/feedback for a distributed version control system for cutecash?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 6 12:10:21 EDT 2010

John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.us> writes:

>> Are you proposing we use github as our main repo?  So we no longer use
>> code.gnucash.org to hold our code?  If not, then maybe you could help me
>> understand how we can securely allow random people to create git
>> branches on our server.
>
> No, we can have it both ways. The master repo can remain at
> gnucash.org, but because of the distributed nature of git, others can
> publicly share their work on Github or Gitorious. A developer with
> write privileges on gnucash.org can easily make a local branch on his
> local repo, pull in the changesets from the unprivileged contributor,
> test, cherry-pick back into his master branch, and push to the master
> repo. It's much easier than passing patch files around, especially for
> large changesets.

Okay, so basically it's effectively like "secondary" devs put up their
own repositories (where "github" is just a standard, centralized place
for that to be).  So in THAT respect it's no different than what we're
doing now.

The real difference is that the tools to perform merging from these
external repositories is easier.