Proposals/feedback for a distributed version control system for cutecash?

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 18:52:58 EDT 2010

On 4/6/10 12:10 PM, Derek Atkins said:
> [...]
> Okay, so basically it's effectively like "secondary" devs put up their
> own repositories (where "github" is just a standard, centralized place
> for that to be).  So in THAT respect it's no different than what we're
> doing now.

What GitHub did is set up a social network to reflect the informal
network that springs up among contributors to a project like GnuCash.
Each dev has their own (public) repository which they push to. Then they
send other devs a `pull' request (i.e., pull my changes, they're cool).
If other devs pull their changes and like them, they keep them and pass
them on to others. If the project maintainers like them, the changes go
into the project. This can happen in a single step, or there can be a
hierarchy or devs. See [1] for some workflows that Git enables.

Cheers,

Yawar

[1] http://progit.org/book/ch5-1.html