Startup script changes: what and why

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Tue Apr 6 18:48:10 EDT 2010

--On April 6, 2010 6:24:29 PM +0200 Geert Janssens
<janssens-geert at telenet.be> wrote:

> This in itself didn't bother me too much and I let it be for a long
> time.  Since november last year, I have started to commit more
> seriously to gnucash  development. I have been monitoring bugs,
> trying to fix what I could,  debugging on the go,... And there I got
> frustrated. It seems that contrary to  most other devs, I'm prefer
> GUI to do my development (Eclipse if you wish to  know). The fact
> that GnuCash has to be started via a shell script effectively
> prevents me from using the Eclipse integrated debugging environment
> in a  convenient way. I have worked around it for a while with
> gnucash-ddd or  attaching to a running process, but both turned out
> suboptimal in many cases.

I normally debug GnuCash using XCode on MacOSX and haven't seen this
problem.  In fact, in order to continue doing this I had to first make
sure that your initialization code didn't run when I debug GnuCash in
XCode since it would seriously mess things up.  I've configured my
XCode project to set the various environment variables that are
normally set by the startup script to values appropriate for debugging.
In particular they are set to get things from the build tree instead of
the install tree.  If I were to let your initialization code run it
would trash a lot of these values.  Fortunately your code can't find
the environment file when running under XCode so it doesn't do anything.

Note that I'm not saying your changes are wrong, just explaining why I
hadn't seen the same problem you had.  Your changes are ok with me if
they make your life easier.  Perhaps Eclipse doesn't have an easy way
to set up the environment for the program being debugged.

      Mike