Startup script changes: what and why

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Wed Apr 7 07:11:55 EDT 2010

On Wednesday 7 April 2010, Mike Alexander wrote:
> --On April 6, 2010 6:24:29 PM +0200 Geert Janssens
>
> <janssens-geert at telenet.be> wrote:
> > This in itself didn't bother me too much and I let it be for a long
> > time.  Since november last year, I have started to commit more
> > seriously to gnucash  development. I have been monitoring bugs,
> > trying to fix what I could,  debugging on the go,... And there I got
> > frustrated. It seems that contrary to  most other devs, I'm prefer
> > GUI to do my development (Eclipse if you wish to  know). The fact
> > that GnuCash has to be started via a shell script effectively
> > prevents me from using the Eclipse integrated debugging environment
> > in a  convenient way. I have worked around it for a while with
> > gnucash-ddd or  attaching to a running process, but both turned out
> > suboptimal in many cases.
>
> I normally debug GnuCash using XCode on MacOSX and haven't seen this
> problem.  In fact, in order to continue doing this I had to first make
> sure that your initialization code didn't run when I debug GnuCash in
> XCode since it would seriously mess things up.  I've configured my
> XCode project to set the various environment variables that are
> normally set by the startup script to values appropriate for debugging.
> In particular they are set to get things from the build tree instead of
> the install tree.  If I were to let your initialization code run it
> would trash a lot of these values.  Fortunately your code can't find
> the environment file when running under XCode so it doesn't do anything.

So you mean that in xcode you start gnucash-bin directly, which works because
you have set the proper environment variables for it ?

Would you mind sharing which environment variables you have set for this to
work ? I guess you had to add additional paths to some parameters to pull this
off as the scheme files are scattered throughout the source code.

> Note that I'm not saying your changes are wrong, just explaining why I
> hadn't seen the same problem you had.  Your changes are ok with me if
> they make your life easier.  Perhaps Eclipse doesn't have an easy way
> to set up the environment for the program being debugged.

Well, your approach is definitely interesting to investigate in eclipse as
well. Thanks for mentioning it.

Geert