Building Gnucash on OSX from gnucash-on-osx git repo

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Apr 9 12:54:16 EDT 2010

On Apr 9, 2010, at 9:31 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:

> On Friday 9 April 2010, Geert Janssens wrote:
>> On Thursday 8 April 2010, John Ralls wrote:
>>> Geert,
>>>
>>> You're building 64-bit binaries, which isn't what you want. Edit the line
>>> in .jhbuildrc-custom that says 'setup_sdk("10.5", "10.5")' to say
>>> 'setup_sdk("10.5", "10.5", [i386])', make sure the "build_policy" line
>>> is commented out, and start over (jhbuild bootstrap and all).
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> John Ralls
>>
>> John,
>>
>> Thanks for helping me out on this new platform for me.
>>
>> The i386 thing seems to fix it partly (see further for the next issue). Any
>> idea why my system tries to build 64-bit without interventions ? It might
>> be a good thing to add to some GnuCash/OSX specific faq. No doubt others
>> will run into this as well.
>>
>> Anyway, now I have
>> 1. added ["i386"] (instead of [i386])
>> 2. removed all build directories (got odd errors otherwise)
>> 3. reran jhbuild bootstrap
>> 4. reran jhbuild build
>>
>> Got stuck now on the step that attempts to install slib. It looks as if
>> guile is missing from my system.
>>
>> I notice that .jhbuildrc-custom explicitly skips guile (and gmp) by
>> appending them to a skip list. Is that intended ? If so, how should guile
>> normally appear on my system ?
>>
> Small correction. The skip rules are not in .jhbuildrc-custom, but in
> .jhbuildrc. .jhbuildrc-custom explicitly removes gmp from the skip list, but
> not guile. I'll try to remove guile in the same way.
>
> If that fixes it, it might be interesting to know why guile is on the skip
> list (at least on my system).

Geert,

Sorry, that's a recent change to the moduleset (using guile-1.8 instead of guile-16; the latter is a separate module unaffected by the skip). Skip.add('guile") is in jhbuildrc because guile is included in jhbuild bootstrap, isn't needed for most applications, and has in the past given trouble.

The simple solution is to add 'skip.remove("guile") ' to your .jhbuiildrc-custom; I'll do this in the gnucash-on-osx version later today.

The reason you got a 64-bit build is because Snow Leopard does that by default. It's explained in more detail in the Gtk-OSX build instructions at https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gtk-osx/wiki/Build.

Regards,
John Ralls

I've already added (but not pushed) the [i386] change I wrote about yesterday.