Could you help on some uncleared strings during my translations?

Mark Haanen i18n at haanen.net
Mon Apr 26 17:23:15 EDT 2010

I can only help you with some of your questions; hopefully one of the
devs can fill in the rest.

Op dinsdag 27-04-2010 om 03:35 uur [tijdzone +1000], schreef Dancefire:
> 3)
> #: ../src/gnome/glade/sched-xact.glade.h:91
> msgid ""
> "Fixed Rate\n"
> "3/1 Year ARM\n"
> "5/1 Year ARM\n"
> "7/1 Year ARM\n"
> "10/1 Year ARM"
>
> What is "3/1 Year ARM"?

It's a shorthand for an apparently common interest rate structure in the
US: 3 years fixed, followed by a variable rate linked to 1-year Treasury
securities. ARM = Adjustable-rate mortgage.

> 4)
> #: ../src/gnome-utils/glade/commodity.glade.h:1
> msgid "1 /"
>
> Should I keep it as "1 /"?

Yes, it's the prefix to the fraction chooser. This string should
probably not be marked as translatable...

> 10)
> #: ../src/app-utils/gnc-ui-util.c:574
> #, c-format
> msgid "No form: code %s, tax type %s"
>
> and
>
> #: ../src/app-utils/gnc-ui-util.c:589
> #: ../src/app-utils/gnc-ui-util.c:602
> #, c-format
> msgid "Not tax-related; no description: form %s, code %s, tax type %s"
>
> What is "form"? a verb: creation? or a noun: fill in a "form" and
> submit it? or short for "formula"?

A noun.

> 11)
> #: ../src/gnome/glade/budget.glade.h:15
> msgid "Number of calendar units in the recurrence:  E.g. Biweekly =
> every 2 weeks; Quarterly = every 3 months"
>
> Should we translate "Biweekly", "Quarterly"? or they are some kind of
> values which should not be translated?

As this is a glade file, it should probably be translated. These are
meant as examples of how to enter budgets. It's the second part ("every
2 weeks", "every 3 months") which should match some other part(s) of
your translation; "Every " at the start, a numeric value as the middle
part, and the third part one of the entries in the \n-delimited list
for ../src/gnome/glade/budget.glade.h:23

> 16)
> #: ../src/import-export/generic-import.glade.h:46
> msgid "Select neither to skip the transaction (it won't be imported at all)."
>
> Could you make it clearer? Is it meaning that "whatever you select,
> the transaction will be skipped, this transaction will not be
> imported"?

"Select neither one nor the other (i.e. make no selection) to skip the
transaction"

> 17)
> #. src/report/standard-reports/income-statement.scm
> #. src/report/standard-reports/gnucash/report/standard-reports/income-statement.scm
> #. src/report/standard-reports/gnucash/report/standard-reports/budget-income-statement.scm
> #. src/report/standard-reports/budget-income-statement.scm
> #: ../intl-scm/guile-strings.c:3328
> #: ../intl-scm/guile-strings.c:4268
> #: ../intl-scm/guile-strings.c:5170
> #: ../intl-scm/guile-strings.c:6654
> msgid "Revenues"
>
> What's different between "Revenue" and "Income"?

Revenue is more usual in a business environment, income is more usual in
personal finance. AFAICT both are equivalent in this program.

> 18)
> #. src/report/standard-reports/psl-budget.scm
> #. src/report/standard-reports/gnucash/report/standard-reports/budget.scm
> #. src/report/standard-reports/budget.scm
> #: ../intl-scm/guile-strings.c:3370
> #: ../intl-scm/guile-strings.c:5912
> #: ../intl-scm/guile-strings.c:7416
> msgid "Display the difference as budget - actual"
>
> Does it mean "calculate the result of (budget - actual expenses), and
> using this value when display the difference"?

Yes: Calculate (budget - actual expenses) and display this value as the
difference. This means that overspending will result in negative values.

> 19)
> #. src/report/standard-reports/gnucash/report/standard-reports/advanced-portfolio.scm
> #. src/report/standard-reports/gnucash/report/standard-reports/portfolio.scm
> #. src/report/standard-reports/advanced-portfolio.scm
> #. src/report/standard-reports/portfolio.scm
> #: ../intl-scm/guile-strings.c:5036
> #: ../intl-scm/guile-strings.c:5528
> #: ../intl-scm/guile-strings.c:6478
> #: ../intl-scm/guile-strings.c:7032
> msgid "Listing"
>
> and
>
> #. src/report/standard-reports/gnucash/report/standard-reports/advanced-portfolio.scm
> #. src/report/standard-reports/advanced-portfolio.scm
> #: ../intl-scm/guile-strings.c:5016
> #: ../intl-scm/guile-strings.c:6458
> msgid "Display exchange listings"
>
> and
>
> #. src/report/standard-reports/gnucash/report/standard-reports/advanced-portfolio.scm
> #. src/report/standard-reports/advanced-portfolio.scm
> #: ../intl-scm/guile-strings.c:4966
> #: ../intl-scm/guile-strings.c:6408
> msgid "Show listings"
>
> Does "listing" in those strings mean list in "shopping list" ? or the
> financial term of "appear on the market"? or a verb?

The financial term (appear on the market).

---
Mark