how to translate properly words with key accelerators

Miguel Rozsas miguel at rozsas.eng.br
Mon Apr 26 16:05:40 EDT 2010

Hi !

I am reviewing a translation for Brazilian Portuguese and  I have a question
about how to deal with words that have a hint for the shortcut keyboard for
a function/menu entry.

For example, the original english words "_Balance:", "_Default" and
"Placeholde_r" can be translated as "Saldo Inicial:", "Padrão" and
"não-editável". The question is how to choose a equivalent keyboard shortcut
for the translated words.

Should I pick any arbitrary letter in the translated word ? (I mean, "Saldo
_Inicial", "_Padrão", "não-_editável")
How to know if another word in the same context has the same shortcut ?

What are your suggestions ?