Could you help on some uncleared strings during my translations?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Apr 28 12:14:32 EDT 2010

Dancefire <dancefire at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 7:18 PM, Christian Stimming <stimming at tuhh.de> wrote:
>> I'll answer the rest:
>>
>> Zitat von Dancefire <dancefire at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> 12)
>>> #: ../src/gnome/glade/price.glade.h:10
>>> msgid "Delete all stock prices based upon the critera below:"
>>>
>>> I think "critera" is a typo, and should be "criteria".
>>> Does "criteria" mean "conditon"? or "standard"?
>>
>> Yes, a typo. Yes, it means "conditions" - the plural; the singular would be
>> "criterion", but there are several, so it's several "criteria". (How would
>> "criteria" be the same as "standard"? Just curious how you would think of
>> this semantic ambiguity.)
>>

> I got a sample sentence of "criteria":
> -------
> Environmental standards are an important component of China's
> environmental statutory framework. They include environmental quality
> standards, pollutant discharge or emission standards, basic
> environmental criteria, criteria for samples, and criteria for ...
> -------
> In this context, the criteria means "standard" in Chinese.

Maybe.  A Criterion is a choice, or "match".  Criteria is a set of
criterion, so a set of choices or matches or rules-for-matching.  I
suppose "standard" could be close, but I'm not 100% sure.  E.g.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criteria