Proposal for migration from Subversion to Git.

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Mon Aug 9 15:49:06 EDT 2010

Dear Tao,

I'm all in for this. We might consider such changes right after the 2.4.0
release, but that isn't too far away, so discussing it now is fine. Thanks for
the suggestion. IMHO git gives a significant amount of benefit over SVN,
simply because the versioning system doesn't enforce any sort of development
process, but instead the versioning system can adapt to that process which
fits best.

And also, as you said, git is much much much faster than SVN. If I had the
choice, I would use git completely ASAP and get rid of SVN altogether.

However, currently the setup of the SVN server also implies a particular
development process, namely the "single-trunk" process by some core group with
repository write access. That core group (currently 10-15 developers) commit
all to one single branch ("trunk"), so that "trunk" is always the branch where
all changes are integrated. If there are contributions from others, someone
from the core group needs to commit and also do some initial checking (like,
checking whether the compile isn't broken).

How would this development process be mapped into git? I know every developer
can have his/her own master branch in the repo, but how would projects usually
decide which parts go into the master-master branch?

I think it would be good to have some test setup of the gnucash code base in
git somewhere, and see how well the current development process can be
implemented there - and what  improvements will be possible as well. Do you
think you can demonstrate such a test setup somewhere? The code base is there,
you only have to copy it somewhere online.

Best Regards,

Christian