Version references in documentation

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 00:17:56 EDT 2010

On 2010-08-26, at 14:01, Derek Atkins wrote:

> [...]
> I'm not sure why it scares you; branching in SVN is simple.

Yes, but....

> [...]
> Sort of..  We branch the 2.2 for 2.2 maint; trunk is matching
> gnucash-trunk.  When we're ready to fork the 2.4 vs. "next major
> version" then we can branch the docs to 2.4.  But there's no point in
> branching until you have something that will cause a diversion.

OK, but, what about non-version-specific work? Like, a typo that should be fixed in both trunk and 2.2--or the text width suggestion patch I just sent? I would think we couldn't put it in either branch, because it affects both. For these cases, could we create a `general' branch starting at r11620 (release 1.8.0) where we can make these general administrative changes (and general changes only) and neatly merge them into all future branches?

I imagine this would involve doing something like:

for each branch in (1.8, 2.0, 2.2, lentity, trunk)
  svn merge general-branch into branch

Would that work?

Also, SVN merging is why I'm so scared of SVN branching. :-)

Regards,

Yawar