Build problems after r19920

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Mon Dec 13 12:16:03 EST 2010

--On December 13, 2010 9:37:59 AM -0500 Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU>
wrote:

> I ran a complete make all check from scratch and it worked fine, so
> the only potential problem might be existing build trees.  They might
> wind up getting these files in multiple locations.

Make distcheck builds using a different build tree and install tree
then runs make check in the new build tree.  This did not work since
make check tried to use a few things from the install tree which didn't
exist yet.  I just checked in a change to fix this and make distcheck
now works (I think).  After the make check it installs, uninstalls, and
reinstalls (and then uninstalls again) GnuCash.  The second install
gets problems with schema installation.  It gets lots of errors like:

WARNING: failed to install schema
`/schemas/apps/gnucash/dialogs/business/coordinates', locale `bg':
Unable to store a value at key
'/schemas/apps/gnucash/dialogs/business/coordinates', as the
configuration server has no writable databases. There are some common
causes of this problem: 1) your configuration path file
/opt/local/etc/gconf/2/path doesn't contain any databases or wasn't
found 2) somehow we mistakenly created two gconfd processes 3) your
operating system is misconfigured so NFS file locking doesn't work in
your home directory or 4) your NFS client machine crashed and didn't
properly notify the server on reboot that file locks should be dropped.
If you have two gconfd processes (or had two at the time the second was
launched), logging out, killing all copies of gconfd, and logging back
in may help. If you have stale locks, remove ~/.gconf*/*lock. Perhaps
the problem is that you attempted to use GConf from two machines at
once, and ORBit still has its default configuration that prevents
remote CORBA connections - put "ORBIIOPIPv4=1" in /etc/orbitrc. As
always, check the user.* syslog for details on problems gconfd
encountered. There can only be one gconfd per home directory, and it
must own a lockfile in ~/.gconfd and also lockfiles in individual
storage locations such as ~/.gconf

I don't know if this matters or not, but it didn't seem to bother make
distcheck.

           Mike