Let's really release 2.4.0 soon

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Thu Dec 16 08:59:13 EST 2010

On Wednesday 15 December 2010, Derek Atkins wrote:
> "David T." <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> writes:
> > As a user, I agree, although it would be nice if 635357 were addressed.
>
> Yes, but the documentation can generally be released after 2.4.0.  IMHO.

Sure, I think it would be best to get the important documentation updates
included though (and it looks as if they will be).

Both the windows installer and the OS X/Quartz build include documentation by
default. So that would result in a 2.4 build with incomplete documentation.
That not important for minor updates, but IMO important for core changes such
as the new Save As... and Open... dialog boxes.

But as said in another mail, a patch is ready for that, and will likely be
applied before this weekend (depends on Cristian), so this will be a non-
issue.

> > On that bug, I looked at the sections in question, but don't see a quick
> > fix. Not having done any saving in database format, I wouldn't know what
> > needs to be said. But given that the database file format is a key part
> > of this version, its impact on the process of saving data, and most
> > importantly the need for users to understand their save options clearly,
> > I think *some* effort should be made.
> >
> > I am particularly concerned that end users understand the background
> > steps they need to take to enable database saving (e.g., installing the
> > db server, setting it up for gnucash use, etc.). This would also be a
> > good place to put some of the "Gnucash uses a database back end to store
> > its data, but it is not a database application" verbiage that has been
> > bandied about on the lists for a good while.
> >
> > David
>
> FTR, I agree that we should get 2.4.0 out the door.

+1 for releasing 2.4.0 very soon now.

Geert