Please back out r18428 - editable 2nd date field

Kim Wood kim.wood at bigpond.net.au
Sat Feb 13 06:45:57 EST 2010

The has been some discussion in the user forum at
http://n4.nabble.com/New-Transaction-field-in-the-register-td1476778.html#a1476778
about patch r18428.  IMHO this patch is particularly bad and should be
removed for two reasons.

Firstly, in double line register display mode, the two dates displayed for
each transaction produces an extremely confusing display to the user.  It is
not at all obvious what the second date's purpose is - and there is no
option to disable it.

Secondly, the editable second date filed allows manipulation of the
underlying transaction data.  GUI manipulation of transaction creation date
data surely sets a dangerous precedent.

I understand the patch writer James Raehl was seeking some additional
transaction functionality - but the result is a cluttered and confusing
register, with no option to turn off the second date filed.  I believe that
it harms the users experience of the interface rather than enhancing it.

Can this patch be backed out until such time there is an option provided to
disable it?  I believe that the default position is that the option should
be turned off.

Am I alone in thinking that the register in double line mode now looks less
user friendly?

Regards,

Kim Wood