Recent problem: typing separator char ignored

Yasuaki Taniguchi/谷口康明 yasuakit at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 06:21:47 EST 2010

Hello,

1) when entering an account name, the account separator would no longer accept
at the current level
 of the account tree and move to the next level
2) <SHIFT>+ and <SHIFT>- in a date field would not change the field by 1 week.

I confirmed both of them. Thank you for your pointing them out.

1) is easy to fix and I've already made a patch.
But it is necessary to discuss more on 2).

At first, I ask you two questions.
a) Which type is your keyboard layout.
b) What is the accurate action?

I suppose you use the US-ASCII keyboard layout or similar ones. The
relation between
keypress and keycode are as follows:
<keypress minus> = [keycode '-']
<keypress shift + minus> = [keycode '_']
<keypress equal> = [keycode '=']
<keypress shift + equal> = [keycode '+']

But most Japanese people (except me) use jp106 or traditional JIS layout.
Please see Wikipedia about keyboard layout.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout

The relation is:
<keypress minus> = [keycode '-']
<keypress shift + minus> = [keycode '=']
<keypress equal> = unknown
<keypress shift + equal> = unknown
<keypress shift + semicolon> = [keycode '+']
<keypress shift + backslash or Yen> = [keycode '_']

When I think other keyboard layouts, the situation is far complex.
What do you have ideas to resolve these complexity?

Many applications and guidelines take "keyboard acceleration with Alt
and/or Control"
and throw away "one keypress acceleration" in order to globalize themselves.

>> Seems like the correct usage of the Asian character input methods in
>> the context of our register is rather complex. :-(

I think so too. But this is the way Gnumeric passed several years ago.

Regards,
Yasuaki