Build dependencies (was: Re: Request: require glib2 >= 2.12)

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Feb 26 14:17:54 EST 2010

On Feb 20, 2010, at 5:05 PM, John Ralls wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2010, at 10:32 AM, John Ralls wrote:
>

>> I too am using Guile 1.6 with OSX, because when I set up the builds in late 2008 Gnucash had problems with 1.8 and I haven't tried again since. I'll do so today or tomorrow and report back.
>>

> Gnucash trunk won't build with Guile 1.8.7 (the current release):
>> Making all in engine
>> chmod u+x ./iso-currencies-to-c
>> GUILE_LOAD_PATH=../../lib/: srcdir=. ./iso-currencies-to-c
>> ERROR: Loaded gnucash srfi-2.scm in unknown Guile version:1.8.7.
>> If you're running a Guile newer than 1.4, then this file should
>> not have been installed.  Please report the bug.
>
> The problem is in src/engine/iso-currencies-to-c, which is a scheme file whose first line is:
> (use-modules (srfi srfi-2))
>
> Removing that line (so that srfi-2 isn't invoked) causes the following error:
> ERROR: Unbound variable: and-let*
>
> I don't have time to troubleshoot this further tonight.

OK, the problem was pretty easy to fix, I just have to add LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH=$PREFIX/lib:$LTDL_LIBRARY_PATH to the build environment. Interestingly, not having it was causing configure to think that srfi-1 was needed because of an lt_dlopen error, which caused the gnucash copies of the srfis to get added to the Guile path, which caused the truly ancient srfi-2 to get used.

lib/srfi/README says that the srfis are there to support older versions of Guile which don't include them; the minimum version of Guile that configure will accept is 1.6.0, which does distribute the srfis, so should the srfi directory and attendant configure checks go away?

Regards,
John Ralls