Persian Language

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 12 11:05:27 EST 2010

Phil,

Phil Longstaff <plongstaff at rogers.com> writes:

> For both mysql and postgresql, "20100210" is a valid date string
> meaning February 10th.  In the jalali calendar, my understanding is
> that the 2nd month has 31 days.  Therefore, "20100231" would be a
> valid date.  However, I don't know if mysql/postgresql would reject
> it, thinking I wanted Feb 31st.  This will require some
> research/experimentation to figure out.

No research necessary.

The database/datafile should ALWAYS store dates in ISO-8601/UTC.
Any converstion should happen at the UI.  Therefore, 20100230 is an
invalid date, always.

The UI can convert 2010-02-28 to whatever local represenation is
required.  If that requires a day-of-the-year count then so be it.  But
the data file itself should ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS store dates in ISO-8601
UTC.