r18582 - gnucash/trunk/src - Add disambiguation prefix to the word Split where it is the action of a Stock Split.

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 26 11:04:12 EST 2010

Christian Stimming <stimming at tuhh.de> writes:

> Zitat von Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU>:
>>> -  xaccSplitSetAction (split, _("Split"));
>>> +  /* Translators: This string has a disambiguation prefix */
>>> +  xaccSplitSetAction (split, Q_("Action Column|Split"));
>>>
>>>    amount = gnc_amount_edit_get_amount (GNC_AMOUNT_EDIT (info->price_edit));
>>>    if (gnc_numeric_positive_p (amount))
>> [snip]
>>> -      gnc_combo_cell_add_menu_item (cell, _("Split"));
>>> +      /* Translators: This string has a disambiguation prefix */
>>> +      gnc_combo_cell_add_menu_item (cell, Q_("Action Column|Split"));
>>>        break;
>>
>> Looks like you used the same disamiguation prefix in both locations.
>> Shouldn't these be different?  I would expect you'd make the first one
>> be "Stock Split|Split"?
>
> This was intentional. In both cases it is the text that is displayed
> in the "Action" column in the register. The former writes the text in
> the action field of respective split, the latter adds it to the
> proposals that appear when opening the combo box to edit this field in
> the register.

Maybe I don't understand how Q_() works.  How will it let the translator
provide different translations to the two strings when they are 100% the
same string?  I thought the point was the provide a unique disamiguation
string to differentiate the two uses of the same word?

> So yes, the two places are different use cases of the wording, but
> eventually both strings end up in the same field in the register, so I
> figured they should have an identical msgid for translation.

Yes, they both go into the Action column, but aren't they being used for
different things?