Bills due reminder

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jan 28 09:49:26 EST 2010

Hi,

Please remember to CC the list on all replies...

Vladimir Bashkirtsev <vladimir at bashkirtsev.com> writes:

> On 01/28/2010 02:09 AM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Vladimir Bashkirtsev<vladimir at bashkirtsev.com>  writes:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I had few bills in my books which were not paid. Bills due reminder
>>> popped up each time I started GnuCash. Then these bills were
>>> superseded by new bills and I cleared "Active" check box in old
>>> bills. One would thought that inactive bills should not come with the
>>> reminder. Apparently it is not the case and reminder comes up for
>>> inactive bills. Is it "a feature" or just oversight?
>>>
>> This is a feature.  You may have 'hidden' the bills but they are still
>> due!  You need to Process Payment to pay them off!
>>
> But what about bills which are no longer due because they were
> superseded (ie next bill included figure from previous bill)? There
> should be some way to mark a bill as inactive or void so it would only
> be kept for records and would not require any payment.

There is no such thing as a "superceded bill".  Think about it, if you
have a transaction for $40 from A/P -> Expenses:Foo and then another
transaction for $80 from A/P -> Expenses:Foo, you now have $120 due!

So you have two options:

1) When the new bill comes in only enter the new portion (E.g., when the
   $80 bill comes you only enter the new $40)

2) When the new bill comes you enter in the full new bill and then
   unpost the old bill.  So you would enter the new $80 bill and then
   unpost the "superceded" $40 bill so it's no longer in your accounts.

>>> Regards,