Bills due reminder

Vladimir Bashkirtsev vladimir at bashkirtsev.com
Thu Jan 28 22:09:53 EST 2010

On 01/29/2010 01:34 AM, Mark Haanen wrote:
> Op donderdag 28-01-2010 om 09:49 uur [tijdzone -0500], schreef Derek
> Atkins:
>

>> There is no such thing as a "superceded bill".  Think about it, if you
>> have a transaction for $40 from A/P ->  Expenses:Foo and then another
>> transaction for $80 from A/P ->  Expenses:Foo, you now have $120 due!
>>
>> So you have two options:
>>
>> 1) When the new bill comes in only enter the new portion (E.g., when the
>>     $80 bill comes you only enter the new $40)
>>
>> 2) When the new bill comes you enter in the full new bill and then
>>     unpost the old bill.  So you would enter the new $80 bill and then
>>     unpost the "superceded" $40 bill so it's no longer in your accounts.

OK. Unposting an invoice will definitely remove it from the reminder.
But it will just linger around unposted forever mixing up with
incomplete and therefore unposted bills and invoices which is not really
convenient. At least it will resolve my problem. But it leads
automatically to another question: what is an intent behind "Active"
check box? Is this flag used anywhere?

> There's also 3) When the new bill comes, you ask your supplier for a
> credit invoice in the amount of the old bill. This is S.O.P. here in
> Holland because of the tax requirement on consecutive bill numbers to
> ensure that all VAT has been transferred to the Tax Agency.

Kinda strict rules but perhaps it is good to be pedantic with money.

Regards,
Vladimir