Bills due reminder

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Fri Jan 29 05:02:29 EST 2010

On Friday 29 January 2010, Vladimir Bashkirtsev wrote:
> On 01/29/2010 01:34 AM, Mark Haanen wrote:
> > Op donderdag 28-01-2010 om 09:49 uur [tijdzone -0500], schreef Derek
> >
> > Atkins:
> >> There is no such thing as a "superceded bill".  Think about it, if you
> >> have a transaction for $40 from A/P ->  Expenses:Foo and then another
> >> transaction for $80 from A/P ->  Expenses:Foo, you now have $120 due!
> >>
> >> So you have two options:
> >>
> >> 1) When the new bill comes in only enter the new portion (E.g., when the
> >>     $80 bill comes you only enter the new $40)
> >>
> >> 2) When the new bill comes you enter in the full new bill and then
> >>     unpost the old bill.  So you would enter the new $80 bill and then
> >>     unpost the "superceded" $40 bill so it's no longer in your accounts.
>
> OK. Unposting an invoice will definitely remove it from the reminder.
> But it will just linger around unposted forever mixing up with
> incomplete and therefore unposted bills and invoices which is not really
> convenient. At least it will resolve my problem. But it leads
> automatically to another question: what is an intent behind "Active"
> check box? Is this flag used anywhere?

Well, if the unposted invoice is of no value anymore in you accounting
history, you can also reuse it when you enter a new invoice. Instead of
creating a new one, you can alter the superceded unposted one (you can change
every aspect of it, so it can even be for another vendor/customer). You then
continue to post it and pay it with the new information. That's what I do to
get rid of such invoices.

Geert