r19325 - gnucash/trunk/src/report/standard-reports - Bug #556713 - inconsistency in report options, partial fix

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jul 8 11:35:32 EDT 2010

Geert Janssens <janssens-geert at telenet.be> writes:

> On Thursday 8 July 2010, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> You do realize that this will break any open/saved reports, right?
>> Not that that's a big deal per se, but it should be documented.
>>
> Hmm, no I didn't realize that. I thought I saw an easy opportunity to fix
> things, but I turn out to break things instead. Great...

Yeah, the report options are hard-coded to their English names.  There's
not a mapping of Option to Display Name (except through the translation
mechanism).  In other words, an option is defined by the tuple
<pagename,optionname> and those two strings are then translated directly
for display...  So if you change the pagename or optionname then you
effectively change the option.

> How badly will the reports be broken ? Is it in the range of
> "You'll have to reset the dates on your saved reports and resave the reports"
> or rather the report will error out ?

I'm not 100% sure.  Certainly the report will need to be reset.  It's
possible that the report will crash.  If there's a SAVED report then it
may be worse, but I don't know for sure -- I don't use saved reports.

The way to test:

Run a gnucash before this change, open one of the affected reports, keep
it open and exit gnucash, upgrade to the changed code and then restart
gnucash.  See what happens.

Then perhaps re-run the test with a saved report?