Why Two sets of Documentation?

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 3 19:40:13 EDT 2010

--- On Thu, 6/3/10, Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> From: Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU>
> Subject: Re: Why Two sets of Documentation?
> To: "David T." <sunfish62 at yahoo.com>
> Cc: "Josh Sled" <jsled at asynchronous.org>, gnucash-devel at gnucash.org
> Date: Thursday, June 3, 2010, 12:52 PM
> David,
>
> "David T." <sunfish62 at yahoo.com>
> writes:
>
> > Derek--
> >
> > That sounds like a nice idea. But I re-state that
> having the context
> > help packaged separately from the application is a
> little wacky to
> > me--and if you create links from context help into the
> concepts guide,
> > the same point would apply to the Concepts guide (just
> one layer
> > removed).
>
> Oh, I agree!  I think the context-sensitive help
> should be part of
> GnuCash itself.  However how LARGE is the
> context-sensitive help?  How
> much would it bloat the application to include it?
>
> > Is there some way to incorporate the context help
> directly into the
> > main Gnucash application, so that users would at least
> get that
> > just-the-facts kind of help from the get-go?
>
> Define "directly into the main application".  If you
> mean, could we move
> the files out of gnucash-docs and into gnucash and then
> distribute them
> in the gnucash tarball, then yes, that's possible (within
> reason, based
> on the size considerations).  However if you mean
> including the docs in
> the C source code itself, then no, that's not at all
> reasonable.

I meant the former (context help out of -docs and into the base app). I am not sure what constitutes reasonable, but when I download the help manual from http://svn.gnucash.org/docs/help/help.html, the result is about 1MB in size. I haven't checked whether this is an accurate or complete download; it was just a quick pull from svn using httrack.

What would it take to get this moving along, and how might I help with it? If it's a matter of parsing the help file into a particular format and adding appropriate codes into that data to allow someone to hook in, I might be able to swing that...

David