Why Two sets of Documentation?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Jun 4 08:14:57 EDT 2010

"David T." <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> writes:

> I meant the former (context help out of -docs and into the base
> app). I am not sure what constitutes reasonable, but when I download
> the help manual from http://svn.gnucash.org/docs/help/help.html, the
> result is about 1MB in size. I haven't checked whether this is an
> accurate or complete download; it was just a quick pull from svn using
> httrack.
>
> What would it take to get this moving along, and how might I help with
> it? If it's a matter of parsing the help file into a particular format
> and adding appropriate codes into that data to allow someone to hook
> in, I might be able to swing that...

Mostly it would include collecting the context-sensitive help files out
of the gnucash-docs module and moving it into the gnucash module.  This
would entail adding a new 'help' (or 'docs' directory) and assorted
build glue.  Then you'd need to modify configure to add the necessary
dependencies to build the help files.

Looking at gnucash-docs/help, adding the context-sensitive help would
add at least 7MB to the source tarball, possibly more if it needs to
include stylesheet content as well.  I don't know how much of
gnucash-docs is required to build the help vs build the guide.  I also
don't know how much would get added to the binary, for the
language-specific helps.