Where to use country codes

Valdis Vītoliņš valdis.vitolins at odo.lv
Mon Jun 7 04:54:12 EDT 2010

> Hi,
> Am Donnerstag, 3. Juni 2010 um 22:00:34 schrieb Valdis Vītoliņš:
> > For linguists it's difficult question.
> > It was agreed Latvian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latvian_language) is
> > language with several dialects,
> > so standard Latvan is lv_LV and dialects with lv_..other.
>
> The translation should only contain the country code, if there are differences
> between the countries like en_GB: holiday vs. en_US: vacation.
>
> But account templates should respect local law.
> Taking this example,

Then formally language code should be only lv.
The practical reason I decided to use lv_LV, was that I had to pass
locale name "lv" explicitly
because Linux locale is lv_LV and gnucash did fallback to en_US (C).
This language_country is used not only for locale, but code for keyboard
layout, java locale,
etc.

> > Though Latgalian language
> > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latgalian_language) is not dialect but
> > official language now,
> > (as it was developed _before_ Latvian and can't be its dialect)
> > though for us "classical" lv_LV conforms to used locale name in Linux
> > systems ;-)
>
> there could be ONE translation ltg
> and TWO sets of account templates
> ltg_LV fitting latvian and
> ltg_RU for russian law.

And because there are Latvian communities all around the world,
it could be also for Latvian e.g. lv_LV, lv_AU, lv_GB, lv_ES, lv_RU,
lv_US, etc.
So, lv_LV does make sense.

What do you think?
Valdis