GNU Cash as accounting engine

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Jun 12 10:16:18 EDT 2010

On Jun 12, 2010, at 12:47 AM, Amiruddin Nagri wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am working on a application that needs an accouting module, with audit
> trails and multi user support. I was hoping to use gnu cash as accounting
> engine and integrate with my application. Is it possible ?
>
> Any guidance/comment/suggestion will be really helpful.

Possible, sure. Most anything is possible given sufficient time and money. But Gnucash isn't multi-user and doesn't have audit trails, so you'd have a lot of work to do.

I don't know what your plans are for distributing your application, but you need to know that Gnucash is distributed under the GPL. Among other things, that means that any program that in any way uses Gnucash code (even just dynamically linking it) must also be released under the GPL. You'll find the actual terms in the file "COPYING" in the top source directory.

Regards,
John Ralls